Second interview… and the wait continues

February 27th, 2006 by cathy

I had my second interview with Fairport and everything seemed to go really well. I met most of the staff and they seemed really nice. I think they even may have liked me. I tried very hard to act comfortable and easy going even though I thought I might hurl. Everyone asked interesting questions like “do you like coffee?” “do you like animals?” “do you like chocolate?” “do you bake?” Everyone seemed really comfortable with me, and I took that as a good sign.
After a little over a hour, Robin (J Librarian II) showed me the staff areas and the story time room, and I had about 15 minutes to get ready for story time. Story time went really well (we did wheels on the bus and there were square wheels, babies driving the bus and bus drivers crying).
Here’s what I did:
Shake your wiggles out
Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
Wheels on the Bus
Little Bunny Foo Foo
What do Monsters Look Like
I’m not Scared of the Big Green Monster
Walk, Hop, Run and STOP!
We all got loud and crazy and I think everyone had fun. Some kids were still nervous because they didn’t know me, but overall I think everyone got into the spirit of things.
Finally at the end is where the big mistake comes in. I say good bye to the director and she tells me that they hope to make a decision by the end of the week, which has just passed. I have been feeling completely spastic and neurotic. I know that I should just calm down, but I can’t. Jeff keeps telling me to calm down and I try, but its not happening. I really think part of the problem is that I’ve only had three jobs in my entire life, most of which I got right on the spot or close to it. So I don’t really know realistically how long I should expect to wait and so on. You see my dilemma.
1. I worked at a church rectory from 7 – 12 grade, answering the phone and door, ironing shirts, vacuuming, yaddah yaddah yaddah.
2. Soon before graduating from high school, I got a job at the Highland Branch Library as a page and after a couple of months I was promoted to clerk, which I kept throughout my bachelors and masters.
3. A couple of months after graduating from Buffalo (in May) I got a part time job at Parma as the misc. librarian. The interview was strange. The director asked me about dogs and Dr. Who and I was hired on the spot. About three months later and without much warning (beginning of August) I found out that she was going to retire and that I would be full-time acting director.
So here I am now, Children and Young Adult librarian of a small library with only two librarians in it. I do practically all the programming and while I love the people and all, Hilton is way the heck out there and the pay isn’t really that good.
As you can see, I really need to find out (one way or the other), or else I may implode, which wouldn’t be very good.

Comments are closed.